The Mills of Birdwood

The three story mill building constructed in the 1850s to produce flour now houses Australia's National Motor Museum.

In the 1850s the three-storey Randell Mill was built in the town of Blumberg (now Birdwood) and the adjoining four-storey Peerless Roller Mill was built in 1888, producing premium quality superfine flour. Electricity replaced the original Watt steam engine in the 1930s but the striking chimney was retained. By the late 1940s the Mill ceased production, replaced by newer and larger flour mills at Port Adelaide. The machinery was sold for scrap and the building abandoned.

In 1964 the building was purchased by Jack Kaines, along with fellow motoring enthusiast Len Vigar, to house their collections. The following year the Museum was opened to the public, rapidly developing over the next decade. The collection featured curios, collectibles, objets d’art, and an aircraft, alongside a motoring collection. A company of private shareholders purchased the Museum and, under the leadership of Gavin Sandford-Morgan, was promoted as the Birdwood Mill Pioneer, Art and Motor Museum.

In 1976 the South Australian Government purchased the Museum to avoid the collection from being dispersed.

Note: This isn't the location of the cache, just the location of the historic site.

View this cache on geocaching.com This cache was created by Worst Cache Scenario Learn more Find out more on Other Image: Three story stone buildings seen from street

View of the Randell Mill and Peerless Mill buildings, Blumberg, c.1900
National Motor Museum photographic collection, 7128

Website design & development by Digital Barn & Adam Winston