Educating Sturt Street

The Sturt Street School was designed by architect Edward John Woods in the gothic revival style and a bluestone structure. The original building included separate rooms for girls, boys and infants.

The Sturt Street School was opened in 1883 as a City Model School.

It later became known as a ‘Practicing School’ in 1930 and a ‘Demonstration School’ in 1961, because of its purpose in providing practical training to new teachers, particularly those going to work in one-teacher schools in rural South Australia. The school’s multicultural student body grew in the 1950s and ‘60s with the arrival of children from migrant families in the South West.

In 2004, under pressure from locals, the State Government re-opened the school. This proved a popular decision and the school grew again. A number of additions were made to the original buildings.

Note: This isn't the location of the cache, just the location of the historic site.

View this cache on geocaching.com This cache was created by Worst Cache Scenario Learn more Find out more on Adelaidia Image: large stone building with group of children in front

Students in front of Sturt Street School, c. 1910s

History SA. South Australian Government Photographic Collection, GN05238

Website design & development by Digital Barn & Adam Winston