Acting Up – Act Two

Built in 1840, the Queen's Theatre is the oldest surviving theatre building in Adelaide.

Founded by brothers Emanuel and Vabien Solomon, the Queen’s Theatre is the oldest surviving theatre building in mainland Australia. It opened in 1841 with a performance of Othello. During its lifetime the building has been put to use as a law court, city mission, horse bazaar, factory and showroom.

Proposed development of the site during the late 1980s prompted an archaeological excavation that uncovered extensive remnants of the former Queen’s Theatre. These features included dressing rooms and the orchestra pit. The site’s heritage significance prompted the South Australian Government to negotiate for its ownership during the 1990s. Today, the shell of the original theatre still stands within the 1850s facade of the Royal Victoria Theatre.

Since 1996 it has again been used as a venue for performance and other events, with strict conditions to preserve the historic character of the building.

Note: This isn't the location of the cache, just the location of the historic site.

View this cache on geocaching.com This cache was created by McFreddo Learn more Find out more on Adelaidia

Auctioneer JW Shannon’s Gilles Arcade Bazaar (formerly Queen’s Theatre), June 1919
History SA. South Australian Government Photographic Collection, GN01974

Website design & development by Digital Barn & Adam Winston